Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Bioethics and Eugenics, Part One

*Note: The purpose of this post is NOT to discuss the pros or cons of abortion or birth control. It is exclusively to discuss the rationale behind the Eugenics movement. In shedding light upon the darkness, we can become more unified in love and respect for one another.

I grew up in a town with one black family. We all attended the same church and Nancy and I attended Sunday School and classes at school together. Nancy and her older sister and I were friends and their father worked at our school and he always had a smile. I must admit I felt the same way when I heard about Martin Luther King as my classmate disclosed. I did not understand what the problem was. I did not watch the news during those days and when in high school I worked evenings after school and on weekends. There was no visible strife in my world and absolutely no racial discrimination in my family nor with relatives or friends of my family’s. It simply would not have been tolerated.

It wasn’t until I took a Sociology class last session that I even heard about the deep roots of racial discrimination, stemming from elitists. This was so foreign and at first I could hardly believe it. I was quite familiar with
Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, however and it really clicked when I read an article about racially encouraged abortions not long ago. Again, I felt the same fierce feelings of revulsion as I had in class. This is why I’ve chosen to discuss Bioethics and Eugenics.

Hitler’s idea was not a new one. In 1863, the word Eugenics which in Greek means "good birth," was coined by
Sir Francis Galton who was a cousin of Charles Darwin. As defined by Galton and appeared on the cover of Eugenics Review for a number of years, "Eugenics is the study of agencies under social control that may improve or impair the racial qualities of future generations, whether physically or mentally." In 1970, I.I. Gottesman defined it as,
"The essence of evolution is natural selection; the essence of eugenics is the replacement of 'natural' selection by conscious, premeditated, or artificial selection in the hope of speeding up the evolution of 'desirable' characteristics and the elimination of undesirable ones."

Many of the world’s wealthiest families have contributed to this philosophy. Their tremendous hate for people other than their own kind has had seething retributions which has brought discrimination, starvation, forced sterilization (~60,000 Americans), and countless other tragedies to various people groups throughout the world. Galton desired that eugenics become a science which would evolve into policy. It has become nearly all-encompassing in foreign policy initiatives and is the basis for the many of the issues environmentalists rally around today, such as global warming. It is the foundation for transitioning the world into a global one. The horror is, many involved in it, are unaware.

(To be continued!)

Though Judge Robert H. Bork wrote the book, Slouching Towards Gomorrah: Modern Liberalism and American Decline (1996), America still saw a rapid decline in moral values and an escalation in numbers of professors teaching from a humanistic slant in colleges and universities, especially in ivy league institutions. Australian Philosopher Peter Singer was hired by Princeton in 1999 and is probably best known for his positive stance on euthanization of babies for up to 28 days after birth. As I recall, he later recanted and changed it to a lesser time frame, most likely due to ensuing public uproar. It has also been said he is the "architect of the culture of death."

When will Americans unify and put a stop to this movement? As with so many issues today, we may impact one heart at a time.




No comments: